Tuesday, March 29, 2011

A few projects:)

Feeling brave, I went into the fabric store and picked out some fabric to make a valance for over the kitchen window. While I knew I'd never match the sage green on the wall I decided to go with a neutral pattern fabric. Using the curtains my mom and I had made for my classroom, I began my first ever sewing project on my own.....and it was fun! I even had enough fabric left over to whip up a valance for over the slider. Now my home is much homier and warmer....while they are far from perfect, I did it!Katie is my inspiration for wanting to try these adorable initial applique shirts for the kids. So... we headed to Old Navy, picked out a few shirts and then went next door to JoAnn's to pick out some coordinating fabric. Then I printed off some letters in fonts I liked and made them a little thicker so you could really see the pattern on the fabric. Next I used Steam A Seam to attach them to the shirts. I'm hoping to maybe try a zigzag stitch on Will's W, but I am sure the curly on the end of Kailyn's K will be too hard for this beginner:) I don't particularly love the fabric on Will's shirt, but it was what he really wanted, so we went with it...not bad. I think a green stitch around the outside will help it stand out more!I have plenty of leftover fabric from all the projects and think I might try my hand at making some reusable baggies for the kids and I. So with that in mind I'm headed back to the fabric store:) (Thanks to Wendi for showing me how to make the baggies!)

No comments:

Post a Comment